The Certificate Program in Yoga Teacher Training and Yoga Philosophy gives students comprehensive knowledge of yoga philosophy and all its practices in a dynamic blend of professional training and personal growth.
|Length of Program||1 Academic Year (9 months)|
|Program Start Date||Late Aug. of each year (see academic calendar)|
|Program Cost||1 year standard tuition cost|
|Requirements||HS Diploma/GED or higher degree|
Students gain in-depth understanding of yogic traditions and all aspects of Raja Yoga Philosophy and Hatha Yoga. Raja Yoga is the complete philosophy of yoga. It is a scientific system for transformation and healing, with a long history of efficacy.
Students become certified Teachers of Ananda Yoga upon completion of the program. Ananda Yoga is the only yoga teacher training of the highly regarded tradition of Paramhansa Yogananda. This 200-hour Yoga Teacher Training meets, and often exceeds, all requirements of Yoga Alliance, the national registry for yoga teachers.
The college is a focused yogic community where future yoga teachers gain unparallel experience, peer support and business training. Graduating yoga teachers are prepared and qualified to teach at any yoga studio, or start their own.
Graduates can become Registered Yoga Teachers with Yoga Alliance. This designation establishes your professional standing as a qualified yoga teacher. Upon graduation you can continue to receive support through the Ananda Yoga Teachers Association which provides newsletters, question and answer forums, student referrals, and more.
Coursework for Yoga Teacher Training includes:
- Practice and training in 30 asanas, pranayamas, kriyas, chanting, mantra, meditation and other traditional yoga techniques. Students will learn how to practice these techniques correctly and how to teach them.
- Teaching methodology including video recording of practice teaching and feedback; observing, assisting
- and correcting; how to teach special populations, such as prenatal yoga, etc.; and learning the business
- aspects of teaching yoga and how to market your classes.
- Anatomy and physiology including the human body (organs, bodily systems, etc) and energy anatomy (chakras, nadis, kundalini, etc.)
- Yoga Philosophy, lifestyle and ethics for yoga teachers drawn from the classical texts of yoga, The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali and Bhagavad Gita.
- Practicum with ample opportunity for practice teaching, observing others teaching, and assisting students while someone else is teaching.
- Courses in Raja Yoga, Yoga Psychology, Polarity Therapy, Cooperative Spiritual Living.
- Electives from the Ananda College curriculum.
This is a one year certificate program which fulfills the 200-hour standards of the Yoga Alliance. Coursework includes:
- Techniques Training/Practice (100 hours)
- Teaching Methodology (25 hours)
- Anatomy and Physiology (20 hours)
- Yoga Philosophy, Lifestyle and Ethics for Yoga Teachers (30 hours)
- Practicum (10 hours)
- Electives (70 hours)
Course Requirements for Yoga Philosophy & Yoga Teacher Training Certificate
In addition to the 1-year certificate, Yoga Philosophy is also available as an area of focus for the A.A. or B.A. degree. The A.A. degree is meant as a 2-year program, the B.A. degree as a 4-year program, and the Certificate as a 1-year program. In the degree programs, students need to complete the core curriculum requirements necessary for a “Living Wisdom Studies Degree in Yoga Philosophy” at either the A.A. or B.A. level. At each degree level, the student will perform practical and experiential research necessary for the degree requirements. The Certificate in Yoga Philosophy & Yoga Teacher Training involves taking fewer classes, and does not provide the same depth of academic and practical experience that the two degree programs offer.
In the spring of 2012, the Ananda College began its Yoga Therapy Pilot Program. This program is for advanced yoga practitioners and students who have completed various levels of study.
For senior students who already are certified yoga teachers (RYT 200), the Yoga Therapy Certificate is a way to deepen your knowledge about the therapeutic aspects of yoga, and offer those therapies to your students. This program is by application, and interested students should speak with the program director before applying.
Prerequisites for Yoga Therapy:
- Yoga Teacher Certificate (RYT 200)
- 100 hours yoga teaching experience
- Raja Yoga
- Approval from the program director