We offer a holistic and empowering curriculum founded in Education for Life (EFL) principles. EFL teaches college students practical skills for living throughout the academic curriculum emphasizing universal values such as compassion, inner happiness, success and courage. Academic learning becomes more supportive of a balanced life—intellectually, physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
College is a time of awakening and exploration. At Ananda College, our student-centered curriculum nurtures self-discovery and allows students to develop naturally towards a career path.
Using a customized approach to learning, the college focuses on the growth and development of each student, attuning to their innate abilities, passions and creativity to direct their course of study.
Students work closely with an Academic Advisor to create a program of study that will prepare them for their final years at the college. Juniors and seniors have opportunities for in-depth independent study, practicums and internships that provide in-depth study into their chosen area of focus and unique interests.
True education extends beyond the classroom and the world of academic theory. Ananda College combines a liberal arts approach with a strong emphasis on developing practical skills that can help launch a student’s chosen career path. Our students receive hands-on training in their chosen area of focus.
While many college graduates leave school feeling unprepared for their careers, our individually tailored practicums and internships allow students the opportunity to gain real work experience in their field.
Every class and area of study incorporates experiential learning, and opportunities are as varied as our students. Past examples have included:
- creating a graphic design portfolio website
- art shows & poetry readings
- illustrating a children’s book with a published author
- writing a fantasy novel and creating the illustrations and cover design
- student-created music, dance, film & plays
- teaching internships for preschool through high school
- developing a healing workshop for veterans
- teaching yoga classes
- working in a yoga therapy or energy medicine clinic
- working with medical specialists in Naturopathy and Chinese Medicine
- creating an Ayurveda cookbook
- teaching Ayurveda in a college
- creating and leading summer youth camps
- building a unique solar green house
- creating biodynamic vegetable gardens for small communities
- designing and building a cob yoga studio
- building & construction for sacred spaces
- developing programs for existing cooperative communities
- and numerous other student-created business and entrepreneurial projects that reflect the areas of focus the college offers.